Wednesday 26 February 2014

THE THEORY OF SORROW - 1

“NEITHER I SHARE MY SORROW
  NOR THE PAIN YOU KNOW
 SMILE LET THE WORLD BORROW
 LET EVERYWHERE HAPPINESS GROW”
                                                                       -MP


There are different types of people in this world, which includes two extremities. Few are the ones who can bear anything, any loss, any shock and try to remain stable in almost all the situation. The other kind of people, like me find it difficult to bear anything in life. All other people are moderates. They can modify their emotions as per the situation.

 Let me narrate an incident. By narrating this incident I don’t want to hurt anyone. If people who are described in this situation read this please don’t curse me. I just felt like sharing.
“It was 23/02/2014, when I received a call from Vijeeth a friend of mine. He gave me a shocking news saying our common friend Naman’s dad expired.
‘What the hell! What would the state of a person be who was in a happy mood when all of a sudden he gets to know that one of his dear one has expired’
I felt sad just imagining his state. But what could I do? Nothing, except sympathizing. I just decided to give a call. But would that help? No it could make the situation worse. The person may start weeping.
So I decided not to call. In fact I also posted in our what’s app group requesting others not to call him by giving them a valid reason.
The very next day when I was sitting alone in my class Vijay came to me. He had a smile on his face.
‘Why did you say not to call Naman’ he asked.
I just tried explaining the state of mind in which Naman might be.
‘It’s obvious yaar. It doesn’t make any sense giving a call to him. Our sympathy can just create trouble and not bring anything back. Try to understand yaar.’
The reply that I got just shocked me. For that moment I went numb, with my mouth wide open.
‘MP, you are trying to explain his situation and state to a person who has already undergone the same situation. Long back even I had lost my dad. Even he expired.‘ ”
Now what should I say about a person who comes to me with a smile on his face and says this.
What exactly he wanted to prove? He was hiding his sorrow with a smile. He wanted to prove something to me.
Yes he indirectly said ‘People are strong enough and they can bear anything. They can forget their sorrow and lead a normal life.’
I understood what he exactly wanted to convey. But my question is how many of us can be as strong as Vijay?
Hardly hand few.

WHAT EXACTLY IS SORROW?
Sorrow is an emotion, feeling, or sentiment. Sorrow 'is more "intense" than sadness...it implies a long term state'. At the same time 'sorrow - but not unhappiness - suggests a degree of resignation...which lends sorrow its peculiar air of dignity'.
'In terms of attitude, sorrow can be said to be half way between sadness (accepting) and distress (not accepting)'.
This is how Wikipedia defines the word sorrow.


The incident that I had mentioned above is just a beginning to this huge topic ‘sorrow’.




We will discuss more on sadness, tears, situations that make us sad and many more issues in the coming posts.



Share/Bookmark
Categories:

1 comment:

  1. The names used while narrating the situation are not their real names.Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental.
    Thank you for understanding.

    ReplyDelete